Tech, Costume Maintenance
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for maintaining costumes, heads, hands, feet and accessories for existing characters, shows and new projects; and recreating existing costumes and pieces by repairing and/or replacing them.
- Maintain costumes by repairing, rehabbing, recreating, replacing, and/or distressing character heads, hands, feet and accessories on site.
- Troubleshoot character/costume problems, on site analysis. Determine, with input as needed, whether problem can be resolved on location or needs to be transferred to Skin Shop.
- Assist with the fittings of new and existing performers, and make costume adjustments per supervisory authorization.
- Assist with setting up and implementing procedures for new shows, events, and characters to facilitate the daily maintenance.
- Track and report material, repair, and/or distressing successes or failures to supervisor weekly.
Assists in cleanliness and organization of the work areas by assuring that all containers are labeled and stored according to MSDS and NFPA standards, and performs accurate logging of daily work product.
- Understands and actively participates in Environmental, Health & Safety responsibilities by following established UO policy, procedures, training and team member involvement activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Associate's degree (AA) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school
- Knowledge of character head/part repair, re-covering with fabric, fur, and foam.
- Re-painting with hand painting and air brush techniques.
- Cleaning, patching and sanding plastic parts. Paint color matching.
- Working with harnesses.
- Aluminum repairs and neat precise finishing work.
- Knowledge of paint types, glues and repair mediums and materials.
- Working knowledge of design and costume construction with sculpting, mold making, vacuforming, foam carving, and plastics work.
- Fitting, doing alterations and troubleshooting for performer comfort.
- Knowledge of handling and disposing of hazardous materials required.
- One to three years professional experience working in this field preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Orlando via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Orlando HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Orlando. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Orlando as a result of the referral or through other means.
Universal Orlando Resort. Here you can.
Universal Orlando is an equal opportunity employer. Universal elements and all related indicia TM & © 2022 Universal Studios. All rights reserved. EOE