Child Development Coordinator, J. Douglas Williams YMCA Family Center
Lake Mary, FL
This position is responsible for organizing and directing the appropriate program segment's day-to-day operations, supervising and training all support staff, and implementing and supervising all aspects of daily activities for youth to provide a successful program that will foster children's social, physical, spiritual, and mental growth in a safe and well-organized environment.
- Provide a safe and healthy environment, both physically and mentally, to ensure the operation of a quality Child Development program.
- Must have willingness to care for children in all capacities; including diaper changes, toilet training, sudden illness or injury, etc.
- Attend all staff meetings as required to meet educational requirements. Establish in-service training.
- Assist in the planning and implementing of the daily lesson plans that fit the children's needs and interests.
- Take responsibility for the safety of the children in the child development environment and the quality of the supplies, equipment and materials in the child development area.
- Report all suspicions of child abuse to proper authorities.
- Make sure proper procedures are followed for sign-in/out of children on a daily basis.
- Report all accidents to the Supervisor, and completely fills out proper health log and/or accident/incident form.
- Direct or assist in the daily maintenance of the childcare area, ensuring safety and cleanliness.
- Assume equal share of the regular housekeeping chores such as cleaning, preparing for daily activities and cleaning up after projects.
- Ensure that YMCA Character Traits are evident in all activities.
- Assist in all phases of operation of the program.
- Establish a relationship with each child and know his or her present level of understanding; consider the needs of all the children and treat each child with respect and dignity.
- Work toward positive parent/staff relations.
- Participate in member retention, special events and fundraising.
- Complete all paperwork clearly and concisely.
- Remain up to date on emergency procedures and Family Center policies.
- Assure all programs are in compliance with all state and local requirements governing child care.
- Promote and represent the mission and core values of the YMCA of Central Florida in the Family Center and its programs.
- All other duties assigned by Management.
- High school graduate or equivalent; one year or more of college preferred.
- Previous experience working with children preferably in an after school setting or childcare center, preferred.
- At least 18 years of age, unless approved by the HR Director and a Vice President.
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse Prevention training within 30 days of hire date.
- Previous experience with diverse populations preferred.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee needs sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions and to supervise program activities in a wide variety of indoor and outdoor locations.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer for extended periods of time and be able to communicate using a computer and phone/smart device.
- The employee frequently is required to sit and reach, and must be able to move around the work environment.
- The employee must be able to perform light work: exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Must complete successful background screening, which includes criminal and drug screening.
- All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. The YMCA promotes an equal employment opportunity work place which includes reasonable accommodation of otherwise qualified disabled applicants and employees. Please see your manager should you have any questions about this policy or these job duties.
- This job description may not be all-inclusive and employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by management. Job descriptions and duties may be modified when deemed appropriate by management.