Are you able to keep track of multiple demands and be immediately responsive to the demands of clients? Do you have exceptional organizational and time management skills? Can you communicate well with people across organizations and build strong, productive relationships? Do you have a passion for working with an organization that serves the community and meets the needs of people who are hungry? Our Mercy Kitchen Clerk may be a great fit for you and your abilities!
Mercy Kitchen Order Clerk
This position manages multiple administrative tasks to ensure timely and accurate delivery of prepared food to our partner organizations in the community. Maintains records and account data, ensures correct orders, and resolves questions and problems that arise. Develops and maintains cordial and productive relationships with clients and staff and travels to sites and meetings during each week. Completes other office tasks such as answering phones, filing reports, mailing and faxing, delivering messages and running errands as needed.
About Second Harvest
If you don’t know about The Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida, let us start by saying this is a BIG operation! We are a private, nonprofit organization that collects, stores and distributes donated food to more than 550 feeding partners in six Central Florida counties: Brevard, Lake, Orange, Osceola, Seminole and Volusia. Last year, with the help of numerous donors, volunteers and a caring, committed community, the food bank distributed nearly 73 million meals to partner programs such as food pantries, soup kitchens, women’s shelters, senior centers, day care centers and Kids Cafes.
In addition to getting food to those in our community who need it, Second Harvest transforms dozens of lives directly every year through several innovative programs. Economically-challenged adults who graduate from our 16-week culinary training program are placed in ‘better than minimum wage”’ jobs that set them and their families on a path to self-sufficiency. We provide assistance to connect people who are eligible to receive SNAP food assistance benefits with the resources they need to access the program and get help. We collaborate with many social service agencies to address the broad spectrum of needs facing many members of our community.
Plates of Plenty is a service that provides freshly prepared meals to early childcare centers, children's after school programs, group homes, senior feeding programs, and private and charter schools. Plates of Plenty's goal is to provide the freshest, healthiest, and least processed ingredients available, and to deliver them in a safe and timely manner.
All meals are prepared in our Mercy Kitchen under the supervision of our Chefs and production staff. Proceeds from food service operations are used to further the fight against hunger in our community.
7 a.m.-3:30 a.m. Monday-Friday (weekends required during disaster relief)
25% outside travel to site locations; 75% normal office conditions
- Develop and maintain standardized methods to accomplish daily tasks
- Verify, print and deliver driver manifest and delivery slips to driver inbox
- Verify that all delivery slips from the prior day’s deliveries are signed, complete and turned in by each driver.
- Collect, organize and scan/file driver delivery slips Verify daily pack slips for accuracy of food items and meal counts
- Attend daily pack meeting with chefs
- Modify already generated orders to accommodate last minute changes and ensure that records and documents reflect most recent update
- Verify that production records are accurate, up to date and delivered daily to all NSLPs, B&G, and others
- Accurately update and manage standing order and special meal counts and communicate with kitchen, and pack-out
- Contact customers directly when unclear about a request or inquiry
- Respond in a timely manner via email or by phone to time sensitive customer recovery issues (including but not limited to missing, damaged or unsatisfactory product) and other customer request or inquiries
- Manage outgoing and incoming flow of information between customer and Mercy Kitchen with follow through and follow up with appropriate action
- Make 1-2 site visits per week to develop working relationship with site managers.
- Drive to locations to deliver meals or solve problems due to transport issues, packing errors or unsatisfactory product
- Create and maintain a calendar of all school events, field trips, and closings
- Notify kitchen 3 weeks prior of any upcoming fieldtrips, special events, or closings
- Provide support for summer food preparations and acts as auxiliary data entry clerk and site trainer for the summer program
- Support the team with any functions in warehouse management system e.g. creating pick slips and conducting cycle counts
- When requested, help out in different areas of the foodbank as the need arises e.g., pack-out, kitchen, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
So, if you are interested and think you want to apply, but you are not sure if you are a perfect fit for these requirements, we still want to hear from you. Everybody brings a different set of skills and experience to our team and we welcome your interest in Second Harvest. Chances are, you may be just who we are looking for!
Knowledge, Skills, Education and Experience Required
· Associates Degree preferred or knowledge obtained from work/education related field
· Minimum 2 years of work experience in office administration, logistics, inventory and supply management or related field
· Highly organized, able to prioritize work and to multi-task
· Demonstrated ability to work independently, solve problems and make sound decisions
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills
· Ability to collaborate effectively with partners and clients and provide excellent customer service
· Exceptional attention to detail and follow up to ensure accuracy
· Ability to work evenings, early mornings, and weekends as the job requires
· Proficient in Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint
· Ability to travel within a six-county area (personal vehicle required – mileage reimbursement provided)
Desired Skills and/or Certifications
· Knowledge or experience with inventory software is a plus