Urban Planner - All Levels
This is a position responsible for technical planning and zoning work in the Community Development Department. An employee in this class is responsible for the complex and varied technical duties to include agenda development and petition administration and plans review. Other assignments may include developing special studies or special projects. The work requires the exercise of mature judgment. The work also includes important and complicated assignments that require relatively general supervision. Direct contact with the public is required.
- Accepting plans from developers for new residential and non-residential development. Distributing said plans to the appropriate department heads and tracking their comments.
- Coordinate staff responses of the plan review process with the applicant.
- Schedule and inform the applicant of next available Planning and Zoning Board meetings, and provides appropriate sections of code to the applicant.
- Provide information to citizens on zoning and land development decisions.
- Communication liaison between the Applicant and City Staff.
- Inputting and maintaining the H.T.E Planning and Engineering Data Base.
- Under direct supervision of the Principal Planner, reviews plans for compliance with the City’s Land Development Regulations.
- Review and provide planning comments for development plans.
- Preparing the first cut at the Planning and Zoning Agenda for Senior Staff review.
- Make presentations to the P&Z Board and the Community Redevelopment Agency Advisory Board.
- Explaining and discussing with developers that City’s requirements for land development.
- Analyzing development solutions and negotiating with developers and the public at large.
- Preparing special sector and corridor studied when required.
- Applying for grants when required
- Develop and maintain GIS maps.
- Responsible for weekly Staff Reports and take general notes at the DRC meetings.
- Make field inspections for final compliance with approved plans.
- Obtain data when required from the County or other agencies.
- Performs related duties as directed when such duties are a logical and appropriate assignment to the position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in an appropriate field such as planning, environmental science, engineering, or public administration or other professional appropriate field. Master’s degree preferred. This position also requires three years experience in a planning related position with the local government. A general knowledge of GIS software required. Must be highly organized and motivated. Knowledge and skills related to Auto Cad, architecture and building design are highly preferable.
Exceptions to the minimum qualifications must be reviewed by the Human Resources Director and approved by the City Manager prior to job offer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of computers to include:
- An excellent knowledge of MS Word and MS Excel.
- Must have working knowledge of MS Access and PowerPoint, and
- Strong working knowledge with ArcGIS.
- Knowledgeable in grammar and able to organize and write long reports.
- Considerable knowledge of business English, spelling, arithmetic, and statistics.
- Considerable knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Ability to understand quickly and accurately, written and oral instructions.
- Ability to maintain moderately complex records and to prepare standard reports
- Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with the public.
- Must be able to perform office tasks. May be required to lift small boxes (30 pounds) from time to time.
- Normal office setting; no known significant hazards.
The City of Winter Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Winter Garden provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.