This position is responsible for performing work involving installation, maintenance, construction, alterations and repairs to City of Winter Garden facilities. Duties include, but are not limited to, determining work methods, best course of action, and procedures, which requires the ability to exercise considerable initiative, independent judgement, and responsibility. Incumbents in this classification receive assignments directly from the Facilities Supervisor.
- Performs responsible journey-level electrical work involving the installation, maintenance, and repair of equipment, machinery, power appliances, fixtures or other electrical components. Work is subject to review while in progress and upon completion for compliance with acceptable electrical standards.
- Stocks and inventories parts and equipment for a variety of maintenance projects, which includes pricing, ordering and obtaining materials.
- Responds to calls during emergency situations, evaluating building damage and taking necessary steps to protect city property.
- Performs safety inspections of city buildings and facilities, and oversees various other safety functions for city buildings such as maintenance of evacuation plans, emergency supplies, and first aid kits.
- May be required to troubleshoot and repair other building maintenance-related issues such as plumbing fixtures, pumps, valves, sprinkler systems, piping and installation of new fixtures.
- May be required to perform preventative maintenance on HVAC Systems including changing filters and cleaning condensate drains and coils.
- Builds, assembles, transports, installs and/or repairs facility furnishings and fixtures.
- Completes daily, weekly and monthly checklists on building equipment, maintenance procedures and maintains records of scheduled preventive maintenance, prioritizing as appropriate.
- Cleans and maintains tools, equipment, materials and work sites.
- Performs heavy equipment operation.
- Attends training and/or continuing education as assigned by the Facilities Operations Manager.
- Must be available to work night, weekend and holiday shifts and may be required to work alone. On such assignments, within established policies and procedures, must be able to demonstrate considerable initiative and independent judgment in identifying and taking corrective action on the more routine problems while referring emergency and complex problems to the Facilities Operations Manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED and one (1) year of education at a recognized electrical training institution and two (2) years of electrical field experience or an equivalent combination of related education, training, and experience that would provide the requisite knowledge and skills.
- Three (3) years of recent full-time building maintenance experience in commercial buildings and/or facilities preferred.
- Ability to obtain a Journeyman Electrical Competency Card within 6 months of employment.
- A valid Florida Driver’s license and ability to maintain a satisfactory driving record.
- Incumbents of this position are required to pass the Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) online security training and background check on a biennial basis.
Exceptions to the minimum qualifications must be reviewed by the Human Resources Director and approved by the City Manager prior to job offer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to works independently and cooperatively as a member of a team to complete work on schedule and according to quality control standards set by the Facilities Operations Manager.
- Ability to communicates effectively with co-workers and supervisors, both verbally and in writing.
- Displays considerable knowledge of the practices, methods & materials used in construction or maintenance such as carpentry, electrical, painting, plumbing, masonry, concrete, HVAC and pool operations.
- Knowledgeable in occupational hazards and safety precautions as related to general building maintenance work.
- Ability to read and understand electrical blueprints, diagrams and maintenance instructions.
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions and to read and understand equipment diagrams and maintenance instructions.
- Basic computer skills.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT / CONDITIONS
- Tasks involve the intermittent performance of physically demanding work, typically involving some combination of climbing ladders, reaching, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, standing and making continuous hand/arm movements. May also require lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling of objects and materials weighting (20-50lbs).
- Tasks are performed indoors/outdoors and due to the nature and location of the work, some tasks include the potential for prolonged exposure to disagreeable elements, including, but not limited to noise, heat, humidity, construction materials and inclement weather.
The City of Winter Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Winter Garden provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.