Job Title Choir Teacher
Reports to: Area Arts Director
FLSA Status Non-Exempt
Work Schedule Part-time hourly position
Clubs: Levy-Hughes 701 West Livingston Street Bldg 900, Orlando, FL 32805
Under general supervision of the rea Arts Director, the Choir Teacher is considered a professional, practicing teaching artist and is responsible for the development, direction and management of Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida's choir program, working directly with youth at the Club level. Teaching Artist will collaborate with the Club program teams to design and implement a rich choir program focused on vocal development as well as performance-related skills. Teaching Artist serves as a Mentor and is responsible for delivering youth-centric arts programming shaped with active, real-time influence and input of youth participants on program content and approach. Programming must uphold key elements of high-quality arts programming by holding youth to high expectations, providing skills building with current, professional teaching methods, engaging key stakeholders and assisting with culminating art events.
Provide Professional Arts Instruction to Club youth
- Establish and maintain, in collaboration with youth, an environment of physical and emotional safety.
- based on respect at all levels.
- Provide hands-on, experiential learning through arts.
- Provide multi-grade instruction in music appreciation and choir.
- Teach 3-6 choir songs per semester, with an emphasis on intonation, tone, stance, presentation, diction, and overall vocal polish; perform choir pieces twice annually.
- Maintain discipline, order, and enjoyable environment at all times.
- Maintain up-to-date quarterly plans or lesson plans, as directed by the Academic Success Coordinator.
- Maintain a clean and orderly at all times.
- attend all weekly and monthly staff development meetings.
- Participate in all relevant staff discussions, contributing opinions as appropriate, and submitting willingly to any annual or mid-year changes as identified
- Lead by example; model BGCCF values and maintain visibility in the workforce.
- Participate in special events throughout the year
- In collaboration with youth artists and supported by other Club staff, organize and implement at 2-3 events throughout the year.
- Adhere to all requested program evaluation and documentation protocol detailed by Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida.
Serve as a Club Staff Team Member and Youth Mentor
- Participate in all required and recommended Club trainings and staff meetings.
- Serve as an adult mentor to all Club youth.
- Serve as a champion for high-quality arts.
- Participate in professional development workshops/trainings in the arts with other Club staff across the organization.
SKILLS AND TRAITS:
Professional, Practicing Teaching Artist
• Has earned markers of success in the field of vocal arts.
• Holds a relevant bachelor's in music, voice or related field/credentials.
• Has worked in a mentorship/teaching role with tweens and teens.
Relationships and Teambuilding
• Promotes an environment of respect at all levels.
• Encourages youth leadership and decision-making.
• Builds trust and rapport quickly.
• Communicates and collaborates openly, honestly and frequently with all Youth Arts Initiative (YAI) staff.
• Expresses self clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing.
• Adapts messages to the audience.
• Presents to others in hands-on, interesting and engaging ways.
• Builds strategic arts alliances and partnerships.
• Able to facilitate, mentor and lead youth.
• Readily responds to youth needs.
• Ensures resolution of problems or issues.
• Establishes credibility and a trusting relationship with youth.
• Asks for, listens and responds to youth needs.
• Creates and communicates tactical objectives and action plans in arts program development.
• Monitors and reports progress as detailed by Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida.
• Holds self and others accountable for completing tasks on schedule.
• Fosters trusting long-term relationships with individuals and arts organizations.
• Assists in problem-solving while building problem-solving skills in others.
• Offers relevant tools, information and recommendations.
• Collaborates on development of deliverables and brings timely closure to work.