Assistant Finance Director
We are seeking a motivated self-starter with the skills and experience necessary to support the Finance Director and Finance Department in conducting financial operations for the City of Clermont, Florida. Please review the job description carefully. Interested applicants should have a high measure of financial acumen, experience with municipality/governmental finance, and must meet the minimum requirements outlined in the [Minimum Qualifications] section below.
Please note that the actual starting salary is dependent upon qualifications.
This position directs the planning, coordinating and supervision of daily operations of the city’s financial activities and utility billing, including accounting, accounts payable, cash receipts, customer service, payroll and utility billing and collections. The position involves public contact including in person, telephone, and written correspondence, and coordination with other departments. Work is performed with considerable independence under the direct supervision of the Finance Director.
This position is exempt. Fair Labor Standards Act overtime provisions will not apply.
Per Florida Statute 295.065, certain servicemembers and veterans, and the spouses and family members of such servicemembers and veterans, receive preference and priority, and that certain servicemembers may be eligible to receive waivers for postsecondary educational requirements, in employment by the state and its political subdivisions and are encouraged to apply for the positions being filled.
- Plans, coordinates and manages fiscal services program including accounting, accounts payable, cash receipts and payroll.
- Coordinates the preparation of the Annual Comprehensive Financial Report.
- Coordinates external audit, including preparing audit schedules, updating the notes to the financial statements, coordinating audit timeline, and facilitating audit requests.
- Manages the financial management information system with assistance from the Information Technology Department. This includes user accounts, month and year end close, and managing updates and upgrades to software programs,
- Manages the accounting system to ensure recording of transactions in conformance with generally accepted accounting principles and standards and in accordance with applicable rules, regulations and requirements.
- Oversees the management of cash receipts processing, including electronic payments.
- Coordinates and ensures accuracy of the preparation of routine federal tax reports, processing of employees’ year-end W2s, and maintenance of payroll system tax tables.
- Reviews Federal, State and Local Financial Reports as necessary. Compiles and reviews various financial records and reports, monitors compliance to policies, procedures and regulatory requirements.
- Reviews supporting documentation for all accounts payable, p-card, and payroll disbursements.
- Recommends, develops, implements and monitors internal control procedures.
- Assist with the preparation and monitoring of departmental budget, objectives and goals. Prepares projections, work load measures and goals for respective areas, and once approved, ensures that all functions operate appropriately.
- Assists in the preparation of the City’s Annual Budget
- Prepares Quarterly Budget Financial Reports and Presentations,
- Oversees Annual Financial Report (AFR) City Debt, Investments, Self-Insurance Fund and Pension Reporting.
- Supervises assigned staff, including selection or recommending selection, establishing work schedules, training, assigning and evaluating work, counseling, disciplining, and recommending termination as appropriate. Receives and responds to inquiries, concerns, complaints and requests for assistance regarding areas of responsibility.
- Establishes and maintains efficient and effective records, and compiles data and prepares various records, written reports and other documentation required.
- Attends seminars, workshops and conferences as appropriate to enhance job knowledge and skills.
- Position is assigned to lead high level projects and serves as second in command in the director’s absence, including attending City Council and Directors’ meetings as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, or a closely related field.
- Five (5) years of progressive experience in financial reporting, with an emphasis in governmental accounting and Annual Comprehensive Financial Report preparation.
- Two (2) years of experience in staff supervision.
- CPA and/or CGFO Certification preferred
- Valid Florida Driver's License.
In some cases, an equivalent combination of higher education and experience may be considered, provided that the education and experience is in a relevant and related field.
Essential Physical Functions & Environmental Conditions
Requires sedentary work involving standing or walking for brief periods.
- Exerts up to 10 pounds of force on a regular basis.
- Operates office equipment requiring moderate dexterity.
- Requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing, and speaking abilities.
Works inside in an environmentally controlled space. The position is exposed to no unusual environmental hazards.
The City of Clermont is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Americans with Disabilities Act requires the City to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss potential accommodations with management.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform all of the essential job functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions described herein. Job functions described are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees may be assigned additional duties by management as deemed necessary. Duties not contained herein may be considered essential to performing this job successfully, just as though they were included in this job description.
The City of Clermont has the right to revise this job description at any time. This description does not represent in any way a contract of employment.