Plans Examiner / Building Inspector (Electrical)
- City of Winter Garden
- Winter Garden, Florida
- May 19, 2023
- Jul 18, 2023
- Product Manager / Analyst
This is a technical position that is responsible for review and examination for compliance with the Florida Building Code and other adopted City Codes and Specifications of building plans that are submitted for building permits. Work involves the review of plans for buildings and structures, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical installations. Employees assigned to this classification must exercise considerable initiative and independent judgment in the interpretation and application of codes in making technical decisions. Excellent verbal communication to other City Staff members, contractors, and the general public is required. Work is performed under general supervision, according to established guidelines, and performance is reviewed through reports submitted, meetings, and results obtained for technical sufficiency and consistent application. Both quality and quantity of plans reviewed will be established by the Building Official depending of the complexity of the plans to be reviewed. This position is also responsible for assisting in field inspecting of new buildings and structures and additions to existing buildings/structures.
- Accepting and reviewing building, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical plans for conformance with the Florida Building Code and all other adopted codes and specifications.
- Coordinating the plan review process with the Fire Marshall, the Building Official, the Building Inspector, the contractors and the property owners.
- Perform all of the duties of the Building Inspector when required.
- Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationship with peers, architects, engineers, contractors, and property owners and to enforce building regulations with firmness and tact.
- Provide expertise to the Code Enforcement Official concerning existing structural, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical conditions of existing buildings.
- Testify before the Code Enforcement Board concerning building code violations of existing buildings within the City.
- Communicate (written and verbally) issues concerns and recommendations to contractors, architects, builders, and homeowners.
- Other duties as assigned by the Building Official.
- High School Diploma /GED and five years' experience in construction as a supervisor or contractor and/or building inspector is required.
- Must possess both Commercial Electrical Inspector and Electrical Plans Examiner certifications.
- Must possess a minimum of at least one of the following Commercial Inspector's and/or Plans Examiner's State Certifications or the ability to obtain Provisional Certifications within 120 days of employment:
- Residential (One & Two Family Dwelling)
- A Residential (1 and 2 Family Dwelling) Plans Examiner Certification is also preferred.
- Requires a willingness to cross-train if necessary to obtain additional certifications within 2 years of hire.
- Must have a valid Florida Driver's license and acceptable driving record.
Exceptions to the minimum qualifications must be reviewed by the Human Resources Director and approved by the City Manager prior to job offer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of modern construction methods, practices, materials, and equipment as applied to approve building inspections.
- Thorough knowledge of the latest Florida Building Codes that are adopted by the City of Winter Garden and city ordinances that pertain to building construction.
- Thorough knowledge of building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, heating and air conditioning construction and inspections.
- Must be able to make sound technical decisions and detect defects in material and workmanship.
- Ability to verbally communicate to contractors, property owners and the general public and be able to physically perform inspections which involves walking, kneeling, crawling, and climbing a 20 foot ladder.
ENVIRONMENTAL & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Must be able to perform tasks that involve sitting, standing, walking, grasping, handling and feeling with hands and fingers, reaching with hands and arms, climbing, balancing, talking, hearing, kneeling, bending, stretching, twisting, stooping, crouching, crawling, and driving a motor vehicle.
- Must be able to sit, stand, walk, climb (i.e., ladders) and balance for long periods of time.
- May occasionally climb ladders, work at heights and/ or in confined spaces.
- Ability to remain alert at all times.
- Ability to regularly move and/or lift up to 25 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds.
- Requires sufficient visual acuity (i.e., read plans and blueprints, see details of objects, distinguish between colors and shapes, etc.) and ability to hear above considerable noise levels (i.e., at building sites).
- Must have moderate levels of eye/hand/foot coordination and the ability to occasionally climb ladders, work at heights, and/ or in confined spaces.
- Daily exposure to conditions of buildings or facilities under varying stages of construction, demolition, or disrepair, including materials used in the building trade.
- Position is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions with exposure to varying weather conditions including exposure to various weather conditions including inclement weather, humidity, heat, cold, dust, fumes, noise, uneven surfaces, poor lighting, etc.
The City of Winter Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Winter Garden provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
The City of Winter Garden offers a generous benefit package that includes:
- A Defined Benefit Retirement Pension Plan with 5 year vesting
- Medical Insurance (the City pays 100% of employee coverage & contributes toward dependent coverage)
- Dental, Vision, HSA Accounts (the City contributes $1,454 annually toward your account), and FSA Accounts (Medical & Dependent Care.
- City paid Life and Disability Insurance
- Vacation Leave, Sick Leave, and 10 paid Holidays annually
- Career and Professional Development Program, including paying for external training, certifications, and licenses (includes B.O.A.F. Cross-Training programs).
- Education/tuition reimbursement (no annual maximum) when taking classes toward an Associate and Bachelor's Degrees and for some advanced degrees.