Orlando Health Medical Group is a comprehensive physician group serving patients from across the southeastern United States. With more than 200 practices and 1,200 physicians, Orlando Health Medical Group has a strong representation in over 55 specialties, including cardiology, vascular medicine, orthopedics, oncology, digestive health, neurology, neurosurgery, bariatric surgery, general surgery, bone marrow transplant and critical care
medicine, as well as more than 30 pediatric subspecialties, women's health, primary care and the largest hospitalist program in Florida.
Orlando Health Medical Group is part of the Orlando Health system of care, which includes award-winning hospitals and ERs, specialty institutes, urgent care centers, primary care practices and outpatient facilities that span Florida's east to west coasts and beyond. Collectively, our 27,000+ team members honor our over 100-year legacy by providing professional and compassionate care to the patients, families and communities we serve.
Orlando Health is committed to providing you with benefits that go beyond the expected, with career-growing FREE education programs and well-being services to support you and your family through every stage of life. We begin your benefits on day one and offer flexibility wherever possible, so that you can be present for your passions.
“Orlando Health Is Your Best Place to Work” is not just something we say, it's our promise to you.
The medical assistant performs patient care under the direction and supervision of the physician or Advanced Practice Provider (APP) in an ambulatory care setting.
• Performs patient care under the direct supervision of a physician or APP.
• Accountable to the Medical Office Manager, Academic Program Manager, Academic Nurse Manager, Practice Site Supervisor, or Department Manager for operational issues.
• Works collaboratively with the administrative and operations staff.
• Gathers patient data through interview and observation.
• Assists patients and families with preparation for examination.
• Assists the physician during examination and procedures.
• Demonstrates competency in specific tasks and skills as defined by the practice.
• Provides routine treatments.
• Documents treatments, procedures, and patient education according to Orlando Health and department specific policies.
• Assists the physician by acting as a liaison on behalf of the patient to schedule, provide patient with scheduling information to obtain specialty testing, and/or specialty physician consultation.
• Processes incoming and outgoing calls in an independent and professional manner using sound clinical judgment.
• Maintains reasonably regular, punctual attendance consistent with Orlando Health policies, the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards.
• Maintains compliance with all Orlando Health policies and procedures.
Other Related Functions
• Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care and have the ability to assess data appropriate to the age-specific needs of the patients on his or her assigned department and/or unit.
• Participates in Quality Assurance and Quality Indicator activities as assigned.
• Demonstrates awareness of medical/legal issues, patient rights and compliance with standards of regulatory and accrediting agencies.
• Practices the efficient use of supplies.
• Assists business office as needed with reception, scheduling, and discharge of patients.
• High school graduate or equivalent.
• Successful completion of Medical Assistant training from an approved technical school required.
• If hired after January 1st, 2015 must be certified by one of the following agencies within 6 months of hire or if transferring to another department:
o Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) by the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) (www.aama-ntl.org)
o Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) by American Medical Technologists (AMT) (www.amt1.com)
o Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) by National Healthcareer Association (NHA) (www.nhanow.com)
o National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA) by National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT) (www.ncctinc.com
Maintains current American Heart Association BLS Healthcare Provider Certification.