Senior Proposal Writer
The Sr. Proposal Writer will serve as a key member of the Marketing team responsible for leading and mentoring the Marketing Proposal Writers within the department as well as overseeing and participating in the preparation of proposals, presentations, and other pertinent marketing materials for each of the firm’s sectors of work (Aviation, Transportation, Development, and Facilities). This individual will work with each of the firm’s offices throughout each of the firm’s geographic regions and will be expected to manage a variety of proposals and presentations throughout the entire life cycle of the pursuit – from advertisement to close-out and debrief.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (may include but are not limited to):
- Provide leadership, mentorship, and guidance to proposal team members.
- Respond to Private and Federal, State, and Local/Municipal Government proposal requirements for a wide range of consulting engineering services.
- Participate in strategizing and planning for upcoming pursuits to prepare list of differentiators, win-themes, materials needed from technical staff, etc. This will include Strategy Meetings and collaboration with Executives, Marketing Personnel, and Senior Technical Staff.
- Perform research and analysis of project/contract pursuits – demographics, competition, client/target details, etc.
- Perform opportunity/solicitation research and tracking, seeking postings for targeted opportunities and tracking progress and results.
- Assemble and prepare proposals and presentations for selected projects and contracts for the entire life cycle of a pursuit.
- Provide coaching and assistance to Executives and Technical Staff on presentations and prepare special graphics, displays, and/or handouts as needed.
- Collaborate and work closely with Principals, Project Managers, Technical Staff, Graphic Designers, and Marketing Staff on proposals, presentations, and other marketing materials.
- Promote AVCON’s brand and mission through compelling content, storytelling, designated themes, and custom messaging.
- Utilize and maintain/update Client Relationship Management (CRM) database.
- Manage and maintain/update company marketing materials and resources, such as proposal templates, graphics, boilerplate write-ups, etc.
- Participate in various community functions, pre-proposal meetings, and special events as needed.
- Provide support for special projects / marketing campaigns as needed and participate in marketing-related task forces and committees (internal and external) as available.
- Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little or no advanced notice.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business Administration, Journalism, Communication, English or related field.
- 8+ years of experience with writing/content creation in the A/E/C industry.
- Proficiency with MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and other relevant graphic applications.
- Previous experience with CRM software (Deltek Vision and/or Vantagepoint, Cosential/Unanet), preferred.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication, editing and proofreading skills.
- Attention to detail and understanding of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
- Experience working independently as well as within cross-functional teams in a collaborative, professional environment.
- Strong organization and effective time management skills with the ability to prioritize tasks efficiently and accurately, meeting deadlines and working in a fast-paced environment.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITY, AND SKILLS
- Must have proven track record of accomplishments as a leader and be capable of supervising and directing a team of proposal writers.
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, meet critical deadlines, and follow-up on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and protect privileged client information and documents appropriately.
- Ability to produce accurate, compliant, and compelling work (independently or with others).
- Ability to work on multiple assignments/deadlines while maintaining a high level of precision.
- Ability to contribute creative/strategic insight while participating in brainstorming and strategy development.
- Ability to utilize a theme-based approach when developing proposals, presentations, and other marketing materials.
- Ability to maintain good working relations with AVCON employees at all organizational levels.
- Valid drivers’ license and maintenance of satisfactory driving record.
There are supervisory responsibilities associated with this position.
Work usually takes place in a clean, pleasant, and comfortable office setting. Site visits may occasionally take place in an outdoor environment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit for long periods of time. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to ten (10) pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
TOOL/PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required for this job. Management reserves the right to make adjustments and/or assign or reassign any portion of this job description at any time with or without notice.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
AVCON, INC. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, AVCON complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment at every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
AVCON expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of AVCON’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Founded in 1988, AVCON, INC. (AVCON) serves the aviation, facilities, transportation, and development industries and employs over 120 professionals with expertise in all aspects of aviation planning and design; civil, structural, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing engineering; fire protection design; utilities coordination and design; traffic planning and highway design; and a full array of design and construction support services. AVCON has built its reputation on delivering innovative and practical engineering solutions to clients, blending economic, sustainable, and technological elements into each project. Whether working on a building facility, roadway, or airfield, AVCON offers high-level technical expertise based on more than three decades of hands-on experience—ensuring the job is done right the first time. AVCON prides itself on partnering with clients in Transforming Today’s Ideas into Tomorrow’s Reality.
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES: Please note that AVCON does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, AVCON will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, AVCON explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of AVCON.