Under the supervision of the Aquatics Director, the Aquatics Coordinator assists in the supervision of aquatics staff and aquatics programming within the Family Center. The Aquatics Coordinator supports member participation and retention through assisting in the development and execution of aquatics programs to achieve strategic goals and provide outstanding customer service to all members.
Why choose the YMCA?
- Flexible scheduling that promotes work/life balance
- Free/Discounted YMCA membership and other employee perks
- The Y is a cause-driven organization that provides a challenging and fun work environment with creative, talented and diverse individuals!
Are you Interested? Read further and find out!
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you. We are the Y.
- Assist in the implementation of aquatic programs including lap swimming, swim lessons, swim team and group exercise.
- Provide classes that promote retention of existing members and engage new members.
- Assist in the supervision of department staff and ensure they are always following all safety and policy regulations.
- Lead staff to support aquatic initiatives to achieve retention goals.
- Perform lifeguarding duties, swim lesson instruction, coaching of swim team and direction of aquatics programs as scheduled, or in order to provide substitution coverage.
- Maintain accurate aquatic schedules and procedures to provide maximum opportunities for member/staff connections.
- Collaborate with department leads to maximize enrollments in program registration and pool usage.
- Collaborate with the Facility Director to coordinate regularly scheduled pool inspections to ensure proper and efficient working order at all times. Coordinate and schedule pool and equipment maintenance and repairs. Purchase equipment, parts and supplies approved by the purchase requisition process.
- Monitor daily operations to adhere to all state, local and YMCA of Central Florida health and safety standards and policies.
- Ensure all staff are current with required certifications. Maintain compliance with required documentation of pool operation.
- Utilize available technology, reporting tools and data that enhance aquatics participation and member retention.
- Assist in the planning and execution of aquatic events at the Family Center. Promote the Family Center and the YMCA of Central Florida's special events among the members and community.
- Associate's degree or equivalent required; Bachelor's degree preferred.
- 1 - 3 years' experience in aquatics or customer service-related field required.
- YMCA aquatics or operations experience a plus.
- Microsoft Office proficiency required.
- Current CPR/AED and First Aid certifications required.
- Current Oxygen Administration certification required.
- Current Lifeguard certification required. (YMCA Lifeguard certification preferred; Red Cross Lifeguard certification is acceptable but must receive YMCA certification within 60 days).
- Current YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor certification required within 60 days.
- Current YMCA Pool Operator on Location certification or Certified Pool Operator required.
- Trainer and YMCA Aquatic Management certifications a plus.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, as well as critical thinking ability.
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail.
- Desire and ability to work with people of all ages.
- Demonstrated responsibility and dependability.
- Must exhibit patience, sensitivity and understanding.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule, which may include weekends and holidays as needed.
- Must be willing to work an on-call schedule rotation as required.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- May be required to work outdoors for extended periods of time. May be exposed to extreme outdoor weather conditions and temperatures and to wet and/or humid conditions in swimming pool areas.
- Must possess auditory, verbal and visual capabilities in order to adequately communicate via phone and in person. Talking is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, with or without correction.
- Must possess the physical ability to perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a professional water rescue.
- Must be able to work with hazardous chemicals (i.e., pool chemicals, cleaning solutions, disinfectants, etc.).
- Must possess the physical ability to pass a lifeguard water test and perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a professional water rescue.
- Must be alert at all times, keeping safety in mind. Must possess acceptable hearing and visual capabilities in order to monitor environment and members' well-being.
- May be required to sit or stand for extended periods of time while demonstrating manual dexterity in order to accurately work on the phone, computer keyboard, and other equipment.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer for extended periods of time and must be able to communicate using a computer and phone/smart device.
- Must complete successful background screening, which includes criminal and drug screening.
- All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. The YMCA promotes an equal employment opportunity workplace which includes reasonable accommodation of otherwise qualified disabled applicants and employees. Please see your manager should you have any questions about this policy or these job duties.
- This job description may not be all-inclusive, and employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by management. Job descriptions and duties may be modified when deemed appropriate by management.